April Is Child Abuse Prevention Month – Events in San Angelo
The Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC) and other programs across the nation are raising awareness for Child Abuse Prevention month. Child abuse and neglect is a problem of epidemic proportion but it is preventable.
In 2014, there were 583 confirmed cases of child abuse and neglect in Tom Green County. In Texas:
- 182 children will be victims of abuse today
- 7 children are maltreated every hour
- Only 1 in 10 children tell someone about their abuse
- 90% of the time, children are abused by someone they know
Child abuse prevention is a community responsibility and the CAC has activities planned for this month to engage everyone to STAND UP to child abuse. Join the movement against child abuse and help the CAC end the cycle of abuse.
- "Go Blue Friday" - Every Friday during April, show your support by wearing blue! Blue is the national color for child abuse awareness. Email pictures of your office “going blue” email@example.com. Pictures will be posted on Facebook and Twitter.
Awareness and education are paramount to preventing child abuse. If you suspect abuse, call the Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-252-5400 or call 911 if you believe the child is in immediate danger.
The Children's Advocacy Center of Tom Green County, Inc. strives to prevent child abuse and neglect and secure for each child a safe and nurturing home through four programs: Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), Hope House, Family Enrichment Services and Child Fatality Review Team. For more information, please contact Leann Hubert at (325) 653-4673 or http://www.cactomgreen.org