Box Office Slump Over The Weekend
It was a slow weekend at the box office -- the slowest of the year, as a matter of fact. The number-one movie was Guardians of the Galaxy, which raised just 10.2 million dollars. It was the fourth weekend that the Marvel film -- which has collected nearly 300 million dollars total since its debut in early August -- has topped the box office.
The only film to open in wide release, the faith-based story The Identical, failed to crack the top 10, earning 1.9 million bucks.
Overall, an estimated 65 million dollars was made by all films currently in theaters, the lowest total for a weekend this year.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to Rentrak:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy, $10.2 million.
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, $6.5 million.
3. If I Stay, $5.7 million.
4. Let's Be Cops, $5.4 million.
5. The November Man, $4.2 million.
6. As Above, So Below, $3.7 million.
7. When the Game Stands Tall, $3.7 million.
8. The Giver, $3.6 million.
9. The Hundred-Foot Journey, $3.2 million.
10. Lucy, $1.9 million.