Drinking Whiskey Has Health Benefits
I’m sure you know that whiskey is the drink of choice for many who like to enjoy an adult beverage! Well, whiskey can also be good for you and here are 10 ways that it is…
10. Whiskey treats the common cold…I’m sure that you have heard of drinking a Hot Toddy for a cold. The ingredients in a Hot Toddy have many of the same properties as a dose of Nyquil. Whiskey acts as a decongestant by dilating your blood vessels, while the honey, lemon and herbal tea have anesthetic properties and can loosen mucus.
9. Weight loss aid…Because whiskey is a low-carb drink, it’s great for anyone who is watching their weight. The American Society for Clinical Nutrition published a study that suggested moderate intake increases energy and decreases the desire for sugar intake. A shot of whiskey in most cases has about 64 calories.
8. Stroke Prevention…As with all the health benefits of whiskey, the key is to consume in moderation. Because of its blood-thinning properties, a daily shot of whiskey can lower a person’s risk of having a stroke.
7. It relieves stress …After a stressful day, a shot of whiskey can actually help you relax. The barbiturate affect of the alcohol can reduce stress, and it also has sedative properties to help you sleep if you’re experiencing anxiety. This is why a lot of people enjoy whiskey as a nightcap.
6. Cancer Prevention…Another great health benefit of whiskey is its high concentration of ellagic acid, a strong antioxidant which can neutralize cancer-causing free radicals in the human body. Single malt whiskey is said to contain more antioxidants than red wine.
5. Helps prevent diabetes…Consuming alcohol is not recommended for patients with diabetes, but studies have shown that long-term moderate alcohol intake can help the body regulate insulin, which could potentially reduce your risk of contracting type 2 diabetes. Keep in mind that heavy drinking can increase your risk.
4. Lowers the risk of dementia…A study published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information concluded that drinking one to six drinks weekly could lower your risk of dementia over and above avoiding alcohol completely.
3. Can soothe a sore throat…Mix whiskey, warm water and honey to make a great cure for a sore throat. The alcohol in the whiskey acts as an antiseptic and numbing agent and the honey creates a thick coating that will help the healing effects last longer.
2. Aids digestion…Whiskey has historically been used as a digestif in many cultures throughout the ages. If you’ve had a heavy meal, an after dinner shot of whiskey may be just what you need to let the food settle properly.
1. Prolong Your Life…A 2010 study released by the Research Society on Alcoholism found that middle-aged and older adult moderate drinkers had a lower overall mortality rate than heavy drinkers or even non-drinkers.
After reading the above, I say…raise your whiskey glass and lets toast to your good health!