2015 July 4th in the City of San Angelo + Twin Buttes Closure
Celebrate America's 2015 Independence Day in a safe, responsible manner this year. July 4th is a great way to spend time with family, friends, and loved ones, but make sure you are taking steps to keep everyone safe.
This year the Twin Buttes Reservoir, including Marina Park, will be locked July 3rd - 5th making it unavailable for igniting fireworks. We would also remind you that using or having fireworks within 5,000 feet of and inside the San Angelo city limits is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a maximum fine of $2,000.
Fire Marshal Ross Coleman advises the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a display by a licensed pyrotechnic operator. The City of San Angelo co-sponsors a free display during the San Angelo Symphony’s July 3 Pops concert Friday night at the Bill Aylor Sr. Memorial RiverStage, 16 E. Avenue A.
If you are planning on using fireworks this 2015 Independence Day, Coleman urges they adhere to the following safety tips:
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Have an adult present.
- Buy from reliable sellers.
- Use outdoors only.
- Always have water – a garden hose and a bucket – on hand.
- Never experiment or make your own fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework. Wait 15-20 minutes, then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Never give fireworks to children.
- If you must store fireworks, do so in a cool dry place.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water, then disposing of them in your trashcan. Leaving used, discarded fireworks on the ground is littering.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
- Stay away from illegal explosives.