STR Town Hall Meeting on Jan. 12th
Short-term rentals will be the focus of a town hall meeting hosted by District 1 City Councilman Bill Richardson on Thursday, Jan. 12.
The gathering will be at 6 p.m. in the City Council chambers at the McNease Convention Center, 501 Rio Concho Drive. The public is invited.
Councilman Richardson said he is hosting the meeting to discuss the proposed short-term rental ordinance, the source of concerns regarding such rentals, and ordinance enforcement.
The City Council is slated to consider on Jan. 17 final approval of an ordinance that would allow and regulate short-term rentals. The measure won preliminary approval last month by a 4-3 vote.
Short-term rentals involve renting an entire property for less than 30 days while the owner is not on-site. By contrast, beds-and-breakfasts typically involve the renting of a room while the owner is on-site.
Short-term rentals would be allowed under the proposed ordinance if:
- The STR earns approval followed by renewal after the first year and ever two years after that.
- An operator who lives within Tom Green County is designated.
- The STR is on a street wider than 30 feet and not within 500 feet of another STR.
- The STR isn’t on a City-owned lot.
- Outdoor gatherings are limited to 7 a.m.-10:30 p.m. No more than one outside pup tent would be allowed.