8 Tips to Protect Your Dog During the Summer – Wag-tastic Pet Tips
The first day of summer came upon us this past weekend, landing smack dab on Father's Day. But, the great weather means that West Texas summers are almost upon us. If you've ever weathered one here in San Angelo, you know just how hot it can get. Since we humans have the option of coming and going as we please, we have to remember to keep our four-legged family members safe in the heat.
The American Veterinary Medical Association has great tips when it comes to pet safety because taking care of your furbaby during the seasons is especially important. We've got eight great tips to help you keep your dog in tip top shape during this heat.
- Never leave your dog in the hot car
- Provide your dog with unlimited access to fresh water
- Provide shade for your dong when they are outside
- When you go for walks, stick to the cooler hours
- Walking surfaces soak up heat, which can burn your dog's paws. Avoid concrete, asphalt, etc. when it's hot.
- If you're hot, you're dog is probably hotter. Make sure they have the means to cool down.
- Keep your dog free of external parasites (fleas, ticks) and heartworms
- Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats. You can also apply sunscreen to your dog's skin if she or he has a thin coat. Talk to your vet to see if this works for your dog.