“Campus Carry” at Angelo State
Students at Angelo State University and other Texas Public Universities can carry concealed weapons on campus beginning this Monday, August 1st.
ASU will be implementing the "campus carry" program. All ASU students, 21 years old or older who are licensed to carry will be permitted to do so.
Open carry of weapons is not permitted on the ASU Campus and related facilities.
Texas statutes identify seven categories of venues where concealed carry is prohibited. There are 12 areas at Angelo State that fall under these categories:
- The Junell Center-Stephens Arena, when sporting events are being conducted.
- LeGrand Stadium at 1st Community Credit Union Field, when sporting events are being conducted.
- Mayer Field, when sporting events are being conducted.
- Foster Field at 1st Community Credit Union Stadium, when sporting events are being conducted.
- The ASU Soccer Field, when sporting events are being conducted.
- Premises where any NCAA sanctioned competition is being held.
- Premises where any UIL sanctioned competition is being held.
- Premises where any Board of Regents meeting is being held.
- Premises where any other official governmental meeting is being held.
- Premises where polling is being conducted for local, state or federal elections.
- The University Counseling Center.
- The University Health Clinic operated by Shannon Hospital.
Additionally, input from faculty staff and students has resulted in the following premises, venues or events being declared as off limits to concealed carry:
This is Angelo State University’s 30.06 sign. If you see this sign, concealed carry is prohibited in this area or building on campus.
When a location is always off limits for concealed carry, the 30.06 signs will be permanently affixed in conspicuously locations.
A law passed by the 84th Texas Legislature and effective Aug. 1, 2016, changes the approach to carrying a concealed weapon on higher education campuses in Texas. The law is often referred to as “campus carry,” but it is officially Texas Senate Bill 11: Carrying of Handguns by License Holders on Certain Campuses.
The legislation mandated that the president of each university, with input from the campus community, establish reasonable rules, regulations, or other provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns by license holders on the campus of the institution or on the premises located on the campus of the institution.
More information is available at http://www.angelo.edu/