Drinking Whiskey Has Potential Health Benefits
Believe it or not, consuming whiskey in the right dosage may have a positive effect on your health and here is a list of 10 reasons why!
Whiskey gets its name from the Gaelic word “uisge beatha,” meaning “water of life,” so raise your glass and toast to a list of potential health benefits of drinking whiskey.
10. Weight loss aid...Because whiskey is a low-carb drink, it makes it the perfect choice for anyone who is watching their weight. The American Society for Clinical Nutrition published a study in 1991 suggesting that moderate intake increases energy and decreases the desire for sugar intake.
9. Cancer Prevention...Another great health benefit of whiskey is its high concentration of ellagic acid, a powerful antioxidant that can neutralize cancer-causing free radicals in the human body. Single malt whiskey is said to contain more antioxidants than red wine.
8. Stroke Prevention...As with all the health benefits of whiskey, the key is to consume in moderation. Because of its blood-thinning properties, a daily shot of whiskey can lower a person’s risk of ischemic (clot-caused) stroke.
7. Whiskey treats the common cold...A Hot Toddy is great for fighting a cold. That is true. The ingredients of this beverage have many of the same properties as a dose of Nyquil. Whiskey acts as a decongestant by dilating your blood vessels, while the honey, lemon and herbal tea have anesthetic properties and can loosen mucus.
6. It’s a stress destroyer... A shot of whiskey can actually help you relax. The barbiturate affect of the alcohol can reduce stress, and also has sedative properties to help you sleep if you’re experiencing anxiety. This is why whiskey is a classic choice for a nightcap.
5. Lowers the risk of dementia...A study published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information concluded that drinking one to six drinks weekly could lower your risk of dementia over and above avoiding alcohol completely.
4. Aids digestion....Whiskey has historically been used to help the digestive system in many cultures throughout the ages. If you’ve had a heavy meal, an after dinner shot may be just what you need to finish it off properly.
3. Helps prevent diabetes...Whereas consuming alcohol is not recommended for patients with diabetes, studies have shown that long-term moderate alcohol intake can help the body regulate insulin, which could potentially reduce your risk of contracting type 2 diabetes. However, heavy drinking can increase your risk.
2. Can soothe a sore throat...Mix whiskey, warm water and honey to make a delicious cure for a sore throat. The alcohol in the whiskey acts as an antiseptic and numbing agent on aching tonsils and the honey creates a thick coating that will help the healing effects last longer. You can gargle it, sip it or both if you like.
1. Prolong Your Life...A 2010 study released by the Research Society on Alcoholism found that middle-aged and older adult moderate drinkers had a lower overall mortality rate than heavy drinkers or even non-drinkers.
So raise your glass....and here's to you, your health, well-being and a long life!