San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo Barbeque Championship Cookoff – Details & Entry Form
February 14th kicks off the much anticipated 2015 San Angelo Stock Show & Rodeo's Barbeque Championship Cookoff at the Rodeo Fairgrounds. To be completely honest, this is probably one of our favorite parts about the rodeo. The food these teams submit is just simply divinely West Texas.
The Championship Cook-Off sponsored by the San Angelo Restaurant Association started in 2010 in efforts to raise money for the scholarship fund and encourage participation in events held during the Stock Show and Rodeo. The event is held on the South end of the 1st Community Federal Credit Union Spur Arena, between it and the old horse barn.
Any four person team is allowed to participate in this insanely delicious event.
- Team Entry Form Here
- $400 per team
- One must be indicated as Head or Chief Cook.
- Each team will submit only one entry in the required Beef Brisket division.
- All checks must be payable to San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo Association. Entries and payment must be submitted by February 1, 2015.
- Click here for the full set of Cook-Off Rules
Optional categories which one entry may be submitted:
- Pork Spare Ribs
There is also a specialty category:
- Jalapeno Poppers, for the title of 'San Angelo King Popper'
- The Popper division was started in 2012, since poppers are a West Texas delicacy
However, these do not count in point totals.
- Belt buckles will be awarded to the four person team that wins each division
- Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion plaques will be awarded to the sponsors of the winners. A point system will be used to determine Grand and Reserve Grand Champions.
- February 13th -- Move In
- February 14th -- Cooks Meeting 10:00 a.m.
- Jalapeno Popper Deadline -- 11:00 a.m.
- Chicken Deadline -- 12:00 p.m.
- Pork Spare Ribs Deadline -- 1:00 p.m.
- Beef Brisket Deadline -- 2:00 p.m.
Spectators are invited to visit the cook-off area and sample a variety of offerings from the teams entered. Donation jars are set-up at each of the pits, and the team with the most donations receives free entry to the event the following year. All donations benefit the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo Foundation fund.