San Angelo Has Appeared Often in Notable Movies and T.V.
San Angelo is a long way from Hollywood. Even so, our city has been mentioned in many famous movies and t.v. show. Likewise, San Angelo has been a filming location for more than a few notable films and t.v. shows.
Not to mention for many years, the "Miss Wool of America" beauty pageant was broadcast coast to coast from San Angelo, featuring big stars of t.v. and pop music.
Here are just a few of the notable films and t.v. shows.
1) "Bells of San Angelo" 1947 The city is mentioned in the title, but the story is about a fictitious San Angelo, a mining community near the Mexican border. The movie stars Roy Rogers.
2) The Lusty Men 1952: This movie is centered on rodeo life. The movie tells the story of a retired rodeo champion who shows a beginner the "ropes" against his wife's wishes. Many scenes in the movie were filmed in the San Angelo area. The film premiered in San Antonio.
3) "The Balad of a Gunfighter" 1964 Starring legendary Texas music and film superstar Marty Robbins, this movie tells the story of a former Confederate soldier who falls in love with a woman named Secora who lives in San Angelo. The twisted plot details how this man tries to be a Robin Hood-type character but runs into some evil criminals.
4) The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again 1979 Legendary comedians Tim Conway and Don Knotts star in this film about a couple of misfits who manage to burn down Fort Concho while trying to embark upon an ill-fated criminal career.
5) "Unsolved Mysteries" 1991 The original t.v. series narrated by Robert Stack profiled the double homicide of San Angelo teens Sally McNelly and Shane Stewart. The teens were last seen alive by fishermen on the shores of Lake Nasworthy on July 4th 1988. On November 11, 1988, their bodies were found off FM 584 near the Twin Buttes Reservoir's South Pool.
They had both been shot in the head with a shotgun. The case was never solved, although, police did report that a local person of interest was questioned in the case in 2017. John Cyrus Gilbreath was served with a search warrant, and Texas Rangers and The Tom Green County Sheriff's office said they found a lock of hair, a fingernail and biological material believed to be blood. Gilbreath is in prison due to other charges and is still a "person of interest" in the case.
6)"A Perfect World" Kevin Costner plays Butch Haynes. The movie mentions San Angelo. The movie tells the story of a kidnapped boy who becomes friends with his captor and it was directed by Clint Eastwood.
7) "8 Seconds" 1994 Lane Frost the PRCA Bull Riding World Champion is played by Luke Perry. In the movie, the character mentions that he has a rodeo event coming up in San Angelo
8) "Tin Cup" 1996 San Angelo has a road sign in a scene of this movie starring Kevin Costner and Rene Russo about a fading golf pro trying to get back into the U.S. Open and win the love of his rival's girlfriend.
9) "All the Pretty Horses" 2000 This film starts in a town called San Angelo. It's about two Texas cowboys who go to Mexico and get in trouble there. The film stars Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz.
10) "The Rookie" 2002 The story of Jim Morris, played by Dennis Quaid, is told in this feature film. Morris, a baseball coach at a Reagan County High School makes the big league at age 35 after agreeing to try out if his high school team makes the playoffs. San Angelo is where the tryout occurs in the film and the city is mentioned often in the film.
11) T.V. Show "Chicago Fire" An abandoned tractor-trailer is traced back to San Angelo in a 2012 episode.
12) "She Rides Bulls" 2015 A 12-minute movie filmed here in San Angelo about a woman who competes in bull riding.
13) "Midnight Special" 2016 San Angelo is mentioned in the film about a father on the run from a repressive cult and the government, bent on exploiting his son's special powers.
14) House Hunters 2017 on HGTV A military family tries to find a home here in San Angelo
15) American Horror Story Season 8 Episode 2 2018 Sadly, San Angelo has fallen to the apocalypse in this thrilling episode.
16) "Sub Rosa" 2021 This feature short film featured many San Angelo locations and residents. The movie is set in Mexico and many scenes were filmed in the San Angelo area.
LOOK: See the iconic cars that debuted the year you were born